Opt-Out Action Plan based on Westborough’s Opt-Out Process
Updated April 15, 2017
- Assemble a small group of concerned citizens
- suggest including active Mothers in your community.
- Consult & Educate Town Counsel
For Westborough Opt-Out, KP Law (Kopelman Paige) is our contracted Town Counsel. They are also counsel to approximately 250 other MA cities and towns. KP Law recommended the Opt-Out process follow a “belt and suspenders” approach with one (1) vote at town ballot vote and two (2) votes at town meeting; see below. Why such a confusing and cumbersome process?
- Request agenda item at the Board of Selectmen’s meeting:
Request to Approve Placing a Question on the (date) Town Ballot and on the (date) Annual Town Meeting Warrant Amending the General Bylaws and another amending Zoning Bylaws
- Educate Your Selectmen
- Put revenue potential into context–Some revenue is not worth taking
- Remind them of their role as leaders as it relates to messages we wish to send to our citizens and particularly our youth. The message they send in regard to these uses will shape how youth feel about the products being promoted by these uses.